Northeastern Michigan Online

Click here to order a listing for your business!

Museums

 

 

Museums

Arenac County Historical Society Museum, 304 East Michigan Avenue, Au Gres, MI 48703, Phone: (989) 876-6399. Artifacts dating back to the 1800's, home setting, such as a parlor and children's rooms are featured, items pertaining to Indian, lumbering in Arenac county, farming, and schools.

AuSable-Oscoda Historical Museum, 114 E. River Rd., Oscoda, MI 48753, Phone: (989) 739-2782. See local Indian artifacts & treaties, early commercial fishing, shipping & local shipwrecks, the booming logging industry, the itinerary origin in Oscoda of the Paul Bunyan legend, area railroads, the 1911 fire that destroyed the 2 towns, the history of Wurtsmith Air Force Base and so much more! Summer open Memorial Day thru Labor Day Thursday, Friday and Saturday 10-5; Sun 11-4 and Holidays. Call for days and times for fall, spring and winter.

Besser Museum for Northeast Michigan, 491 Johnson Street, Alpena, MI 49707, Phone: (989) 356-2202. Come visit Northeast Michigan's center for art, history and science with our displays of arts and crafts, native Americans, geology, industry, and a recreated 1890's street of shops. Our 19th century historic buildings including the Green School, Spratt Church, Maltz exchange Bank, and McKay Log Cabin. Planetarium shows are offered on Sundays.

Bottle-Cap Museum and Dawson & Stevens Classic 50's Diner, 231 Michigan Ave, Grayling, MI 49738, Phone: (989) 348-2111. The Bottle-Cap Museum is the largest private collection of Coca-Cola related items in Northern Michigan. Over 7,000 pieces of memorabilia make up the museum, housed in an authentic classic 50's diner, Dawson and Stevens Classic 50's Diner located in downtown Grayling. Open Monday through Thursday from 7am to 7 pm, Friday & Saturday 7 am to 8 pm, Sunday 7 am to 6 pm, with a full breakfast menu and soups, deli sandwiches and world renowned hamburgers, fries and shakes along will a working 1950's soda fountain.

 

Call of the Wild & Bavarian Falls Park, 850 South Wisconsin Avenue, Gaylord, MI 49735, Phone: (989) 732-4336. The wildlife museum features a wide variety of animals, habitats, and activities including over 60 wildlife displays, the Wildlife Theater, and the Hands-on Learning Center. Our gift shop carries many different collectibles and a variety of gifts with that "Up North" feel. Located right next to Call of the Wild, Bavarian Falls Park offers a fun time for kids of all ages. Challenge your putting skills on our beautiful adventure golf course, race around our 1/4 mile track on one of the go-carts, or bump yourself silly on our Krazy Kars.

Cheboygan County Historical Museum Complex, Huron and Court Streets, P.O. Box 5005, Cheboygan, MI 49721, Phone: (231) 627-9597. Come and explore the rich history of the Cheboygan area at the Cheboygan County Historical Museum Complex. Located at Huron and Court Streets in Cheboygan, the County Seat, the complex consists of five buildings four of which house artifacts and historic exhibits of the past, along with beautiful flowering gardens and the Memorial Rose Garden. The buildings in the complex include: Settlers Log Cabin originally located on Burt Lake in a local Indian Village, the Cheboygan County Sheriff residence constructed in 1882, the old Jail, attached to the Sheriff's quarters and built in about 1912, the decorative Cement Block Garage built in the 1940s, and Spies Heritage Hall, an exhibit hall where the lumbering, maritime, general store and schoolroom exhibits were expanded and moved to.

Civilian Conservation Corps Museum, North Higgins Lake State Park, 11747 N. Higgins Lake Drive, Roscommon, MI 48653, Phone: (989) 821-6125.  The Civilian Conservation Corps Museum is located in North Higgins Lake State Park near Roscommon, 15 miles south of Grayling, along Roscommon Road. Exit from I-75 or U.S. 127 Housed in a replica of Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) barracks, this museum preserves the history of young men who served in the CCC in Michigan during the Great Depression (1933-1942). In an effort to “put Americans back to work,” the CCC enrolled over 100,000 young Michigan men to perform a variety of conservation and reforestation projects. Open Memorial Day - Labor Day.

Colonial Michilimackinac Historic State Park, 102 West Straits Avenue, Mackinac State Historic Parks, Mackinaw City, MI 49701, Phone: (231) 436-5563. In 1770, Michilimackinac was the first stop for voyagers, and still is. This complete working colonial village is less than a mile from Mackinaw City. A fiddler leads you on a tour of the grounds. Excavations are ongoing within the stockade, as archaeologists uncover artifacts from the original trading hub. Interpreters serve as guides for this 1700's reconstructed fur-trading village and military outpost.

Crawford County Historical Museum, 97 E. Michigan Ave., Grayling, MI 49738, Phone: (989) 348-4461. Located in a restored railroad depot, rooms are dedicated to a one-room schoolhouse, grocery store, turn-of-the-century bedroom and old-fashioned entertainment. Enjoy seeing an early railroad caboose, trapper's cabin and two antique fire engines. A popular display is devoted to one of the greatest archers of all time, Fred Bear. Open 10-4, Wednesday through Saturday from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Donation only.

Cross in the Woods Shrine & Nun Doll Museum, 7078 M-68, Indian River, MI 49749, Phone: (231) 238-8973. The center-piece of this shrine is a cross carved from a single redwood tree. It is 55 feet high, 22 feet wide. The bronze figure of Jesus that is attached to the redwood cross is the work of a famous sculptor, Marshall Fredericks. It weights seven tons. Other shrines are situated on the grounds. 300,000 visitors stop at the shrine each year.

Gladwin County Historical Society Museum, 515 East Cedar Avenue, Gladwin, MI 48624, Phone: (989) 426-7410.  Museum housed in old Michigan central railroad depot. Can tour two restored cabins and a restored school house. All buildings and most items on display have come from Gladwin county. Farm and blacksmith tools, furniture, dishes, clothing, books, photos, and much more are on display.

Great Lakes Lore Maritime Museum, 367 N. 3rd St., Rogers City, MI 49779, Phone: (989) 734-0706. The Great Lakes Lore Maritime Museum in Rogers City offers an opportunity to learn about Great Lakes maritime commerce and the stories of men and women whose vocation is connected to this industry. Uniforms and personal possessions of ship captains and sailors, maritime tools, cabin furniture, foul weather gear, lockers, lifeboats and other items offer a glimpse into the daily lives of Great Lakes mariners. Visitors can see a number of ship miniatures, photographs and drawings of Great Lakes vessels, lighthouses, docks and shipping offices. The museum is also a "Great Lakes Maritime Hall of Fame" with annual inductees joining the individuals whose lives and accomplishments on the Great Lakes are permanently stored and chronicled. The museum is open mid-May until mid-October. Hours are 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday and Sunday from noon until 4 p.m. Tours for groups are offered with advance reservations.

Hartwick Pines Logging Museum, 4216 Ranger Road, Grayling, MI 49738, Phone: (989) 348-2537.  Hartwick Pines Logging Museum exhibits allow visitors to return to the state’s nineteenth-century logging era, when thousands of men cut millions of board feet of lumber. Michigan led the nation in sawed lumber production. The visitor center, logging camp, log buildings, exhibits and period rooms tell the stories of the loggers, river men and entrepreneurs who powered Michigan’s white pine industry. Open May through October.

Historic Mill Creek, P.O. Box 873, Mackinaw City, MI 49701, Phone: (231) 436-4100. As the Straits of Mackinac's first industrial complex, Mill Creek provided lumber for the settlement of Mackinac Island in the 1790s. See a hawk, smell the cedar trees, or take the end of the big saw to help cut in the saw pit. Feel the creek's energy inside the mill, where waterpower cuts more than 100 times a minute. Or join the naturalists for a nature talk, then lose yourself in the 625 acres of wooded trails.

Houghton Lake Historical Village and Playhouse, 1601 W. Houghton Lake Drive, Prudenville, MI 48651, Phone: (989) 366-9124. Come and See History come alive in Prudenville, Michigan. There are several historic buildings from the area to enjoy. The General Store is a combined display building and actual store. The store sells goodies reminiscent of yesteryear. As in most towns in early America, the general store is also the site of the local post office. The Edna postal stamp is used during Village Days. Edna was the original name of Prudenville, Michigan. The Village which has 13 historical buildings open includes a school, general store, print shop, blacksmith shop, barber shop, chapel, carriage shop, the Michelson Town Hall, the Homestead, the Sturge Building and a dress shop. During Village Days there are demonstrations of pioneer crafts, children’s games, a story teller and live musical entertainment at the Village and in the Historical Playhouse. The Village is open every Friday and Saturday in the summer, 12-4pm. Tours and special events are welcome - by reservation only. The Playhouse was originally built in 1927, now used for musical presentations, live plays, community events and trade shows. It includes a 6,000 foot wooden dance floor.

Iosco County Historical Museum, 405 West Bay Street, East Tawas, MI 48730, Phone: (989) 362-8911. We are an area historical museum.If you have ancestors who grew up here we have a library of historical facts and naming early pioneering families. Must have been in area twenty years at least. Funeral records of former funeral home.History of the Detroit and Mackinac Railroad started in East Tawas by J.D.Hawkes who built the house our museum is located in.Also tells of lumbering boom days for entire county. Also artifacts from both. 

Lewiston Area Historical Society, PO Box 461, 4384 Michelson Ave., Lewiston, MI 49756, Phone: (989) 786-2451.  The museum is in an 1892 original Lewiston home. It was occupied by David Kneeland, Manager of the Michelson & Hanson Lumber Company, and his family from 1892 - 1910. When the mill closed he sold the dwelling to George & Martha Sachs for $425. The Sachs family's occupancy spanned 85 years. Our collections and displays reflect the evolvement from an Indian village, pioneering, logging, milling, plating the village of Lewiston in 1891, building Twin Lakes Branch Rail Line of Michigan Central between Grayling & Lewiston, and farming to tourism. Due to our efforts, the Civilian Conservation Corps Camp Lunden was designated as a state historic site in 1994 Water for the CCC replica of the Great Lakes is currently provided by a Patron of our Historical Society. The site is located 6 miles east of Lewiston on County Road 612. Also on the museum ground is a Veteran's Memorial dedicated in 2001. A new storage barn was built in 2004 to house a collection that was generously donated to our museum. A must see for all!

Lumberman's Monument Visitor Center, Junction of River and Monument Roads, Huron-Manistee National Forests, Oscoda Township, MI 48750, Phone: (989) 362-8961. This huge bronze memorial to Michigan's lumbering era sits on a high bluff overlooking the sparkling waters of the Au Sable River since 1932. Interpretive signs and exhibits tell the story of moving logs from the forests to the mills. Children enjoy climbing the log jam and using the crosscut saw. For those willing to hike 260 steps to the edge of the Au Sable, they can board the Wanigan, a replica of the floating cook shacks that followed the river drives.

Ogemaw County Historical Museum, 123 South 5th Street, P. O. Box 734, West Branch, MI 48661, Phone: (989) 345-1643. Museum is dedicated to preserving the history of Ogemaw County and its families. Exhibits include Parliament Wedding Apparel, Buttons and Bows, Sleepy Time Retreat, Trophy Room and a Military Room. Genealogical and Historical Research for the area available. Admission is free. Hours are Thursdays and Fridays from 10am to 2pm. Open May thru the end of September.

Otsego County Historical Museum, 320 W. Main Street, Gaylord, MI 49734, Phone: (989) 732-4568. Open June through Labor Day, this museum chronicles the history of Otsego County from as far back as the 1800's. Changing displays features artifacts, photos and memorabilia from Otsego County history.

Presque Isle County Historical Museum, 176 West Michigan, PO Box 175, Rogers City, MI 49779, Phone: (989) 734-4121. Housed in the Bradley House which is an early 20th century, seven bedroom, two story, single family bungalow built in 1914, a national historic site. This house was the home of the president of Michigan Limestone & Chemical Company, the largest industry in this community. Features furnishings of the early 1920's, Indian artifacts, a 1980's general story, a Victorian music room, and displays on the industries of farming, lumbering, and shipping.

Steiner Museum, 1980 Reber Road, Fairview, MI 48621, Phone: (989) 848-7233. Steiner Museum has a fine selection of pioneer and logging industry artifacts in it's collection. Annual Events include: Maple Syrup Social, Quilt Show, Antique Appraisal Fair, Heritage Days, Gun Show, and Indian Days. Open Memorial Day - October. Visiting Hours: 12:00 noon - 4:00 p.m. - Friday - Sunday

Tawas Indian Museum & Gift Shop, 1702 South US 23, Tawas City, MI 48763, Phone: (989) 362-5885. Features North American Indian artifacts, florescent rocks, and prehistoric tools.

Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, 500 W. Fletcher Street, Alpena, MI 49707,
Phone: (989) 356-8805. The Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary encompasses 448 square miles of northwest Lake Huron, off the northeast coast of Michigan's Lower Peninsula. As the resting place of more than 200 ships, it is a paradise for divers. The new home of the sanctuary is the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center, located at 500 W. Fletcher St. in Alpena. NOAA's newest research facility and visitors center features Thunder Bay shipwreck exhibits, the documentary "Tragedies In The Mist" and a gift shop.

Wellington Farm Park, 6940 S. Military Road, Grayling, MI 49738, Phone: (989) 348-5187. An historical, environmental, educational complex set on 60 acres. A working replica of a typical mid-American farmstead during the 1930's. Many farming activities are conducted daily using vintage equipment, tools and practices. The park has a sawmill, blacksmith shop, grist mill, summer kitchen, farm market and pavilion. In addition there is a nature trail to explore. Open weekends Memorial Day to Father's Day and Labor Day to Halloween. Open daily Father's Day to Labor Day, except Tuesdays.

Wurtsmith Air Museum, Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport, Oscoda, MI 48750, Phone: (989) 739-7555.  Our division aviation museum is located at the Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport, (formerly Paul B. Wurtsmith Air Base). The museum consists of flyable and static aircraft displays, related artifacts and equipment, memorabilia, and a library for research and public information. Tours of the museum are available to school groups and the general public. Visit the gift shop with a wide variety of memorabelia reflecting the history and nostalgia of aviation. Remember to stop by the next time you visit.


 

[Home] [Attractions] [Amusement Parks] [Excursions & Tours] [Farms & Mills] [Historic Sites] [Lighthouses] [Museums] [Underwater Preserves] [Wildlife Viewing] [Wineries & Vineyards] [Waterfalls] [Zoos] [Dining Out] [Lodging] [Organizations] [Outdoors & Sports] [Services] [Shopping] [Order/Update]


EF Logo

Copyright © 1997-2014, Enchanted Forest Web Page Design Service. All rights reserved.
“Promoting Northern Michigan Businesses& Organizations Since 1997”
“Veteran Owned And Operated Business”
3980 Curtisville Road, South Branch, MI 48761-9704
Phone: (989) 726-4416, Email:
support@theenchantedforest.net
Created on January 1, 1997.  Last updated Friday, February 07, 2014, Number of pages 217

VVACOLOR